Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > General Premed Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 PM

Default Why does Brock University have such a bad reputation among premeds?

I understand that Brock University does not have a huge premed population and that they do not have their own medical school. However, why does it have such the bad reputation among Ontario universities? Most people assume a student goes to Brock for Health Sciences or Biomed because they are too dumb to get into any other schools in Ontario. I understand that according to statistics that the Science Admission average to Brock is 80.3% (vs Mac 89%,UofT 87% and Western 89%), which I admit is considerably lower. Do people maybe think that they have personal or financial reasons for selecting this university? Also, how do people on this forum judge Brock and say that it is easier than everywhere else is? Unless you have been a student there and then transferred to another university (or vice versa), how can you judge its academic standards? From what I've read, Brock has a lot of recent advances in their science standards and facilities. I am interested in everyone’s view on this because countless individuals have told me that going to such an institution will put you at a disadvantage for a future in medicine.

Thanks for any feedback,
Old 08-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House,M.D View Post
I understand that Brock University does not have a huge premed population and that they do not have their own medical school. However, why does it have such the bad reputation among Ontario universities? Most people assume a student goes to Brock for Health Sciences or Biomed because they are too dumb to get into any other schools in Ontario. I understand that according to statistics that the Science Admission average to Brock is 80.3% (vs Mac 89%,UofT 87% and Western 89%), which I admit is considerably lower. Do people maybe think that they have personal or financial reasons for selecting this university? Also, how do people on this forum judge Brock and say that it is easier than everywhere else is? Unless you have been a student there and then transferred to another university (or vice versa), how can you judge its academic standards? From what I've read, Brock has a lot of recent advances in their science standards and facilities. I am interested in everyone’s view on this because countless individuals have told me that going to such an institution will put you at a disadvantage for a future in medicine.

Thanks for any feedback,
A few things:
1) You're right about the bolded part.
2) Medical schools don't care where you did your undergrad
3) It might be a good idea to go to a university where undergrads have research/EC opportunities... if you think Brock has what you need, there is no real harm in going there
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM

I loled as soon as I saw Brock Medical Sciences's username pop up.

And this is just uni bashing that happens all the time. People from Harvard will always bash McGill or UofT (or not hear of them) and people from McGill and UofT will bash Brock, Ryerson, Concordia, and York. I wouldn't take it too seriously. Of course there are going to be smart people who could have gone to McGill but chose Brock for whatever reason such as scholarships.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 PM

I started at Brock and transferred to a larger school. My problem with Brock was that the degree options were really narrow.

I didn't notice any increase in difficulty from Brock to where I transferred (UWO), although UWO isn't known for being terribly difficult either.

Also, fun fact - U of T won't let you transfer if you have more than 10 credits toward your current degree (whereas other schools will just limit the amount of transfer credits they accept to 10).
Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Was wondering this too. Why don't people bash, say, Lakehead or Trent more?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House,M.D View Post
There are no truly bad universities in Canada. The same can't be said for the U.S., which has so many schools that quality varies considerably across the nation. Just because Maclean's ranks Canadian schools every year doesn't mean it has any significance on med school admissions (or any significance period). That's why you shouldn't focus on reputation. That's why you shouldn't listen to people advising you not to study at Brock. "Pre-meds" who poke fun at Brock do so with an artificial hierarchy in mind, and at the end of the day it's always meaningless. Remember, you make yourself, not your school.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
There are no truly bad universities in Canada. The same can't be said for the U.S., which has so many schools that quality varies considerably across the nation. Just because Maclean's ranks Canadian schools every year doesn't mean it has any significance on med school admissions (or any significance period). That's why you shouldn't focus on reputation. That's why you shouldn't listen to people advising you not to study at Brock. "Pre-meds" who poke fun at Brock do so with an artificial hierarchy in mind, and at the end of the day it's always meaningless. Remember, you make yourself, not your school.
MacLean's - ha. what a useless ranking system. My favourite was when I was when they for 4 straight years kept mentioning a particular prof as highly admired - he wasn't, and he was retired by for 3 years by the time of the last printing. They just pick a bunch of things that probably are important and then cobble them together in some strange formula with weightings they happen to think is important. Even if you believe the overall rankings it doesn't help you with a particular school's program in a specific area (ok Toronto for instance is 3rd overall in the MD/PhD category, but for our purposes what rank - if you even cared or thought it mattered - specifically is the medical school?)
More than machinery we need humanity.
More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.
-
Schulich Medicine 2013, PGY2 - Ottawa for Radiology
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorelan View Post
MacLean's - ha. what a useless ranking system. My favourite was when I was when they for 4 straight years kept mentioning a particular prof as highly admired - he wasn't, and he was retired by for 3 years by the time of the last printing. They just pick a bunch of things that probably are important and then cobble them together in some strange formula with weightings they happen to think is important. Even if you believe the overall rankings it doesn't help you with a particular school's program in a specific area (ok Toronto for instance is 3rd overall in the MD/PhD category, but for our purposes what rank - if you even cared or thought it mattered - specifically is the medical school?)
+1

And because they're really one of the only entities that rank Canadian universities, a lot of people take them as canon. So annoying.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
+1

And because they're really one of the only entities that rank Canadian universities, a lot of people take them as canon. So annoying.
People just love to rank and categorize things.

They real problem is if you believe absolutely the rankings are true - then you adjust your policies to increase your ranking. HUGE temptation to do just that - I mean who doesn't want to be number 1, even if that is not exactly a meaningful measure. So now you have some magazine doing questionable evaluation tactics dictating the educational policies of the entire country. It is a light shade of insanity.
More than machinery we need humanity.
More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.
-
Schulich Medicine 2013, PGY2 - Ottawa for Radiology
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorelan View Post
People just love to rank and categorize things.

They real problem is if you believe absolutely the rankings are true - then you adjust your policies to increase your ranking. HUGE temptation to do just that - I mean who doesn't want to be number 1, even if that is not exactly a meaningful measure. So now you have some magazine doing questionable evaluation tactics dictating the educational policies of the entire country. It is a light shade of insanity.
Well to be fair, it's not just Macleans that's ranking Canadian universities. International ranking systems consistently put UofT, McGill, and UBC at the top. Other Canadian universities generally trail behind quite a bit.

I'm not saying that the ranking system says anything about how smart the students are. I mean admission requirements for UofT are lower than Western's for example. I would say that these ranking do very generally reflect the international image of universities, and could be important for graduate schools or jobs in the States for example.