Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Applying to American Schools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
mficocel

Default Chem courses at UofT

Hey,

This is for anyone out there who did there pre-reqs at UofT and is attending (or planning to attend) a US medical school. I need to go back and take a couple of pre-reqs and I was wondering which chem courses offered at UofT would meet the chem requirment at most US schools. I've noticed at most schools you can just take chem I and chem II, but at UofT they're not labeled like this. Also, does it matter if a course has 2hr lectures and 4hr lab, because it seems at UofT a few courses are like this and I'm wondering if a course like this meets requirments. It seems that I've seen a few school that require a certain number (3hr) of lecture and labs per week (since they go on a credit hour system in the states, so I'm not sure how courses here convert). Thanks for the help.

mficocel
Old 01-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Madz25

Hi there,

I'm at UTSC and we have a Chem 1 & 2 type system here.. maybe you should look into that? I've had no problems meeting the requirements so far...

Madz
Old 02-01-2006, 11:26 AM
mficocel

Hey Madz,

I just checked out the UTSC website and the chem courses seem a little more what I expected from intro. chem. I just have a couple of questions (mostly regarding schedule).
How is the course structured, is there a lab every week or every other week? Also are lectures given on multiple days like most courses (i.e. 3 hrs of lecture include 1 hr on 3 sperate days). Are classes at UTSC usually full, I'm a non-degree seeking student and they only let me sign up once degree students have had a shot at signing up.
Thanks for your help,

mficocel
Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Madz25

Hi,

Labs are every other week. In addition, there is a tutorial every other week as well. So you have an alternating schedule of lab one week and tutorial the following week.

Lectures are 3hrs/week but broken up into 1hr over 3 days (Mon, Wed, Fri).

Classes are generally full but UTSC is doing a lot to accomodate students. For instance, the first half of chemistry (CHMA10H3) was offered in the fall and in the winter session. The second half (CHMA11H3) is offered in the winter session and in the summer session. If there is no space in the lectures but still some spaces available in the labs, the professors will usually sign you in.

Hope this helps.

Madz
Old 02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
mficocel

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:58 AM
mirwat

I am in a similar predicament.

I took CHM 138 and CHM139 at St. George campus during first year. I took CHM 247 the following year. I fulfill the organic chem w/lab requirement of U.S. schools, but I do not fulfill the physical chem, as I only have one-half physical chem with lab. I am contemplating taking the CHMA11H3 offered at UTSC. However, when I looked them up, they exclusions to both CHMA11H3 and CHMA10H3 are CHM139, which is absolutely ridiculous!!! St. George only offers half a year of chemistry, how can they be exclusions for both? I really want to take CHMA11H3 in the summer, and I don't think I'll really get caught even if I do enroll, cause I really want to meet the U.S. requirements, but I'm also afraid that what if ROSI figures it out once I've completed the course and gives me no credit for it?

Is anyone facing the same problem as me? How did you guys get around it?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Madz25

The professors do go through the class list and kick out students that don't have prereqs or if they have exclusions.

There are no other inorganic/physical chem courses at St. George? I find it hard to believe that there is only one.

I'd recommend contacting the head of the chem department at St. George first to find a solution, and then contact UTSC.

Madz
Old 02-06-2006, 06:41 PM
xylem33

For the majority of life sci programs - it's simply chm138, chm139, chm247, and chm220...

here's the problem - chm220, which is our phys chem II doesn't have a lab component. and the other phys chem courses that do have labs or for chem majors...so what can we do?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:46 PM
mirwat

EXACTLY my point!

What the heck are we supposed to do? And why should we be forced to take chemistry courses that are meant for Chem majors and are of course, much harder! It makes me so angry that what we're taught at St. George in ONE semester, is streched out at Scarborough in TWO semesters, and they get two whole credits for it. Why else are our courses exclusions to all their first year chem courses?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Madz25

Your 1st year chem course probably contains some material from both halves of the course...doesn't necessarily mean you cover everything that UTSC covers over 2 semesters.