Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > MCAT Preparation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 PM

Default AAMC verbal vs. real mcat

Hey , i wanted to get the opinion of people who have done the mcat and compare the difficulty of the AAMC verbal and the actual mcat. Was it more difficult or longer? and can you give the average aamc verbal scores and what you actually got ? thanks!

George S. Patton
Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 PM

The passages on the real MCAT were usually longer by about a paragraph, but my score on my test was similar to my practice scores (better than most of them actually)

(My avatar is the Avatar)
Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 AM

thanks for replying ! was the difficulty of the questions abut the same? and i do around 3 aamc practice and get a consistent score is there a good chance i will get that in mcat?

George S. Patton
Old 05-11-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarecool View Post
thanks for replying ! was the difficulty of the questions abut the same? and i do around 3 aamc practice and get a consistent score is there a good chance i will get that in mcat?
1) The difficulty was about the same. The question styles were the same, and the passages were similar in difficulty.

2) There's a very good chance that your real score will be the same (within 1 or 2 points either way). For whatever it's worth, my MCAT was very similar to my practice scores

(My avatar is the Avatar)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 PM

In my personal experience, the MCAT passages are a bit longer than all of my practice passages (including AAMC), but the questions are about the same level of difficulty as AAMC.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:14 AM

I agree with the above posters that the actual MCAT was perhaps a paragraph or two longer than the practice AAMCs.

And I will also add that I have taken the MCAT twice and both times my AAMC verbal score was right on the verbal score I received on the actual thing.

But that's not to say there aren't some differences. Nonetheless, AAMCs are the best material to see where you stand.