Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > General Premed Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 11:44 AM

Exclamation Need Help with PreMed project

Hello everyone,

For the past 2 months, few of us have been working on a website www.premedicine.ca that caters to all the needs of a premed. This initiative was set in motion because we all know the hours of research we spend before applying or even before start studying for the MCAT. The team took time aside to ask themselves "What would I want to know before applying?". With this mindset, we created a project to give premeds just enough enformation on each school and premed topics in general to give a good grasp of what to face ahead.

We will also be giving away annual scholarships to help offset the application fee for one student. I personally know how expensive it can be and for this reason I only applied to 5 schools. In addition, we will also have a blog and an archive of useful downloads that we usually spend hours searching.

Currently 5 people are working together on this and we are looking to expand as we need more help to reach our countdown. This is a great way to give back to your premed community.

Currently, we are looking for students who have experience/good grasp of UofM, UofA, UofS, MUN, Dalhousie, and Western to help us complete the school section. We are also looking for individuals who believe they can contribute in any way.

This is a non profit initiative and all expenses have already been paid in full from pocket.

I am currently out of the country and the connection here is not fantastic, but it will do and I can still manage to coordinate and work on the project. Please feel free to Private Message me if you are interested.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks to all those who messaged me. I had to clear my private inbox as it reached it's limit of 500. I may have not received all messages.

I'm still looking for 2 more premeds wanting to join
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM

You are seeking to reinvent the wheel.

The premed community is well served by this forum, so you want to dilute our membership. We are the best. Lots of information and experience right here.

Others have tried and gotten nowhere. Rather than offer a Sticky n any given topic, you want to go out on your own. Whatever........

For MMI Prep, See:
http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48582
Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_doc View Post
I'm not sure about this. A lot of the information here is disorganized - you have to wade through numerous threads to find what you're looking for it. A lot of it is also outdated, like the "What Are My Chances?" flowchart that doesn't mention wGPAs, differing MCAT cutoffs for each school, when 99.9% of the time that's what they really need to know.

There's a lot that a website like this could do. For example, it would be nice to have some sort of web-based program where you could plug in your grades for each year/MCAT score and get a measure of where you might have a shot.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:

The premed community is well served by this forum, so you want to dilute our membership. We are the best. Lots of information and experience right here.

Others have tried and gotten nowhere. Rather than offer a Sticky n any given topic, you want to go out on your own. Whatever........
I think what trojjanhorse is attempting is really admirable, actually. Yes, this forum is wonderful and a huge help to a lot of people. It also has a lot of problems that don't seem to be fixable. This website, as far as I can tell, would supplement this forum rather than replace it, it would create a second, very useful resource for premeds who can use all the help they can get. Kind of shortsighted to discourage his efforts...

Keep up the good work trojjanhorse!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Didn't expect such a response from you, but I understand your concern. I'm not diluting anything. "We are the best"? I'm not sure what that means really.

Experience, yes, but information is very disorganized. If it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have been as confident applying to begin with. But the number of hours I spent on research alone was a ridiculous amount. The States have a unifying system with all school stats and application process under one hood. We don't. I'm just trying to organize everything to one area that is easy to read and skim through.

We (the team) have spent so many bloody hours on just thinking of a neat and efficient way of organizing all the info that the ratio of prep:info is nearly 10 folds.

Why would I waste my time on something that I do not think will prove useful to the community?

It's a non profit project we are trying to help premeds in any way we can. Either be scholarships or observership opportunities. I'm not reinventing the wheel here. I have NOTHING to gain from this aside from giving back. I'm not making a profit, there are no ads and fees. If anything, I'm digging a hole in my pocket in server fees already.

Don't feel threatened, we are on the same team.

As for others, thanks for your support and we hope to have something nice ready by the end of the countdown.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:14 PM

You should create some sort of premed wiki, so it can be easily updated. Anyway good luck, I don't know much about med school apps since I only applied to 1 school quite a few years ago.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebouque View Post
You should create some sort of premed wiki, so it can be easily updated. Anyway good luck, I don't know much about med school apps since I only applied to 1 school quite a few years ago.
I have put thought into that approach, but then people would gain too much from misleading others with an open based update structure.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Hey Trojan,

I'm not sure how much I can bring to the project since you've done so much great work already, but if you think of anything I can help out with just send me a PM.

It'll give me something to do other than re-play old video games :P
What's Macbook playing?: Fire Emblem: Awakening
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Your obsession is bordering on fanaticism.

The fact of the matter is premed101 is a fantastic community but there's a great deal of people who want/need information without participating in a forum or scouring through post after post to find what they need.