Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Medical Student General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 AM

Default BC Health Minister wants nurse anesthetists introduced

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/0...expanded-role/

Uh oh.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Surprising that the BCSA president is in favour of CRNAs? I think there's a role for them for low-risk procedures, but history tells us any time you give these people an inch they will take a mile. CRNAs are providing independent anesthesia care now in the US and they continue trying to push for more responsibility and higher complexity cases which are far beyond their capability.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 AM

The Minister is posturing and playing intimidation tactics as this would be years away to happen, so I would not be concerned on any level. He won't be Minister by then and it would be another ballgame.

For MMI Prep, See:
http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48582
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM

Seriously? Nurse anesthetist??
Giving those brats in highschool who couldn't get simple chemical stochio right, the ability to give anesthetics?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM

lovely...

5 year residency training in Anaesthesia vs. how much training for a CRNA?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasherXI View Post
Given that BC now lets naturopathic doctors perform surgery and prescribe all drugs (neither of which they have a clue about), it is clear that they really don't give a **** if people get hurt as long as they save money.
Surgery... wtf. I heard about the prescriptions but not that part. Please tell me they have to do at least some kind of residency before they're allowed to cut.....
Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM

Wow you guys mouthing off nurses are the exact pre-med/med students everyone can't stand. Show some respect you god complex morons.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:39 PM

How different would this be from the Anesthesia Assistant program available to Respiratory Therapists and some nurses with critical care experience?

For an 18 month course including (I think) 8 months of practical training we are able to push the same meds, adjust inhaled anesthetic agents etc... We help anesthetists start difficult/major cases and cover breaks as necessary. We work under their orders (keep vital signs between this and that) but are basically left to our own discretion as to how to achieve this. We don't start cases without supervision (we can do the intubations and inductions, but the physician is in the room at that time) but can be left for any length of time with that patient as the physician sees fit.

I also know of some who work in pain clinics, though I'm not sure what their exact role is. I am guessing it is along the same lines as a NP in a clinic setting, but that is speculation.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Politically correct? Some idiot was saying nurses didnt pass high school stoichiometry. I know so many stupid people who have cheated and bribed there way into medical school it makes me sick. Just because ur an MD doesn't mean ur above anyone else.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:51 PM

The whole structure of healthcare needs to change to make it more affordable. It's ridiculous the things people go to see a doctor about that the physician has no idea about but it costs the tax payer $66 or whatever for the visit. For example the majority of GPs do not know how to properly asses an MSK injury but people always go to them for it, the doctor spends 2 seconds with them tells them to go to physio and pockets there money