Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > General Premed Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 06:58 AM

Default What do You really need to get into med school>

Hi guys, I know pretty much what I should do to get into med school, but I'd like to know what people has gotten into medical schools with. Looking through the forum there seems to be people with ridiculously high GPA and lots of volunteer experience that was rejected, but also people with an ok gpa that has been accepted.

So anyone who has gotten into med school or know someone who got into med school, can you please tell me your GPA and experience (volunteer, research, clubs, etc) and I'd appreciated if you specify how long or often you participated in a certain activity

thanks!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM

my GPA was between a 3.82 and a 3.86 out of 4, depending on the calculation method.

I was accepted to McMaster, UWO and U of T, and waitlisted at Queens. Haven't heard from U Calgary or U Alberta yet. Rejected pre-interview from U Ottawa and McGill because I missed their hard GPA cutoff (3.88 and 3.9 respectively).

My GPA is good, but it's not STELLAR compared to a lot of the folks around here, which did close a few doors for me at the very beginning. What probably got me the multiple acceptances was really strong extracurriculars (4 years of kicking around a hospital in various capacities, two years of crisis counselling with trauma survivors, some experiences in writing and visual art to round it all off), good letters of reference, and I'm going to assume that I interview well, which is somewhat of a surprise to me. With the interviews, I would say that my experiences in crisis counselling helped me a lot with both the ethical scenarios and the role play scenarios that were presented. That and sincere passion about learning, some specific knowledge in my field of interest (psychiatry), and the hour or so I spent before panel interviews reading up on the programs and coming up with (hopefully) unique questions that showed that I had done my research.

With U of T, my GPA is a little below the average accepted GPA, and I didn't qualify for weighting. I'm suspecting that my academic score was still high though, because I was a double major in arts and science, and because I took a ton of upper level and grad level courses.

So that's my analysis of what went down with me this cycle. Could be totally off base, though - for all I know, they just flipped a coin and I came up heads. Med admissions is kind of a black box.

Last edited by ellorie : 05-08-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:48 PM

How did you get into Crisis Counseling?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellorie View Post
my GPA was between a 3.82 and a 3.86 out of 4, depending on the calculation method.

I was accepted to McMaster, UWO and U of T, and waitlisted at Queens. Haven't heard from U Calgary or U Alberta yet. Rejected pre-interview from U Ottawa and McGill because I missed their hard GPA cutoff (3.88 and 3.9 respectively).

My GPA is good, but it's not STELLAR compared to a lot of the folks around here, which did close a few doors for me at the very beginning. What probably got me the multiple acceptances was really strong extracurriculars (4 years of kicking around a hospital in various capacities, two years of crisis counselling with trauma survivors, some experiences in writing and visual art to round it all off), good letters of reference, and I'm going to assume that I interview well, which is somewhat of a surprise to me. With the interviews, I would say that my experiences in crisis counselling helped me a lot with both the ethical scenarios and the role play scenarios that were presented. That and sincere passion about learning, some specific knowledge in my field of interest (psychiatry), and the hour or so I spent before panel interviews reading up on the programs and coming up with (hopefully) unique questions that showed that I had done my research.

With U of T, my GPA is a little below the average accepted GPA, and I didn't qualify for weighting. I'm suspecting that my academic score was still high though, because I was a double major in arts and science, and because I took a ton of upper level and grad level courses.

So that's my analysis of what went down with me this cycle. Could be totally off base, though - for all I know, they just flipped a coin and I came up heads. Med admissions is kind of a black box.
Which hospital did you volunteer with?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:39 PM

I volunteered at Mount Sinai in New York City. I did the information desk for a while, worked on the wards for a while, did administrative stuff for a while - basically just kicked around the place from ages 16-19.

With crisis work, you often don't need prior experience for volunteer gigs - most organizations will train you extensively. Distress Centers and hotlines for various types of difficulties often run on volunteers. If your university has distress lines, those are often run by students too.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM

Ellorie's MCAT score is also very sexy. Remember that folks
What's Macbook playing?: Fire Emblem: Awakening
Old 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:

You didn't do anything involving research?
Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Nope, no research at all. I don't really like it all that much. U of T claims in their FAQ that they don't discriminate if you're clearly interested in being a clinician and not a researcher, versus research-heavy with less clinical stuff. It did come up in one of my interviews, but I just explained that while I'm sure research is just dandy, I felt that I would find other things more fulfilling.

39R MCAT, also, and I'm sure that helped a bit. Forgot about that.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
39R MCAT, also, and I'm sure that helped a bit. Forgot about that.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmer08 View Post
It's called:

WINNING.

~ Charlie Sheen
What's Macbook playing?: Fire Emblem: Awakening