Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Medical School Interviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 AM

Default Books to prep for MMI

Hi everyone,

I know there are lots of books out there that help prepare for ethics questions like doing right etc., but i was wondering if there are any resources (books, articles) out there that help people prepare for MMI's ? Im especially curious cuz it seems like the Mac med CASPer portion of the application is quite like the MMI's and would love to start preparing for CASPer while I have some free time!

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:28 AM

I did not really use a book, I don't think that there is one!! The topics and the questions change. You're best bet is too google around from some articles or blogs. Keep up with what's going in the news, specially those related to Medicine. Read a bit on health care in Canada. There was a package preped by one of the posters here that kept going around for a while here, see if someone can send it to you. I only have some of it in hard in copy now and I am not going to scan it
Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 AM

there is no book or anything that would really supplement as a book... there are some papers on the MMI, but i don't think they are very helpful to prepare - more so to evalute the interview process itself... with regards to Casper (it's live this year, in an allotted time period, right?), if you want to prepare, i guess prepare as so far as you did for the MCAT writing section... prepare answering questions about yourself (your experiences, feelings, values, successes, failures, etc.) in whatever the allotted time period is... for the MMI, i guess just read up on ethics, keep up on world events, health care, etc... and practice formulating 5+ minute answers to questions... but the questions themselves are extremely random, so there's not much you can do other than prepare broadly... no books for MMI and casper though... I'm guessing a lot of people are just going to wing it with casper... but i guess if you have time to practice, that's probably a good idea... a lot of people (myself included) find it hard to 'practice' writing... i think the more important thing is to try to go over any successes, failures, positive experiences, negative experiences, values, feelings, conflicts, etc. in your head, and have them all readily accessible

edit: i just found out that casper is essentially an online MMI... so i guess if you have time, prepare for that in the same way you would the MMI - ethics, health care, reflect on yourself, etc... not sure exactly what the questions are like, as i didn't participate in the trial run - but replacing verbal communication skills with writing skills

Last edited by mattg : 07-05-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:22 PM

I found two things to be extremely helpful:

First, I read any material I could find written on the MMI... all the papers published on its goals and efficacy, and any short pieces in newspapers, campus publications etc showcasing its strengths and weaknesses. Know thy enemy and all that haha. I felt it was really worth my while.

Second, starting about two months before my interview, I started casually reading through the CMAJ collections, not just the ones on ethics either. Helps to know the current state of affairs in Canadian medicine, and to not sound like an idiot if they ask you a question that requires some background or you can make a clever reference to an example. The articles are really quite good, in fact I'm keeping up to date with it even now just for fun. "Canadian Dispatches from the Medical Front" were particularly good.

Link here: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/collection/
Old 07-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intouch View Post
I found two things to be extremely helpful:

First, I read any material I could find written on the MMI... all the papers published on its goals and efficacy, and any short pieces in newspapers, campus publications etc showcasing its strengths and weaknesses. Know thy enemy and all that haha. I felt it was really worth my while.

Second, starting about two months before my interview, I started casually reading through the CMAJ collections, not just the ones on ethics either. Helps to know the current state of affairs in Canadian medicine, and to not sound like an idiot if they ask you a question that requires some background or you can make a clever reference to an example. The articles are really quite good, in fact I'm keeping up to date with it even now just for fun. "Canadian Dispatches from the Medical Front" were particularly good.

Link here: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/collection/
There is this one too...Dialogue by the CPSO.
http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/publi...t.aspx?id=1866
if you guy back to the older issues, in each issue they had a section called "Practice partner" I found it really helpful....
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 PM

ooo, one more.....

Although its a little more entertain-ey than academic, check out the CBC's "White Coat, Black Art" podcasts. CAN be pretty thought provoking, depending on which episode you listen to. Interviews with patients, practitioners of all shapes and sizes, administrators etc.

http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/
Old 07-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

What is interesting about the MMI is that in theory (if you believe the literature) you can't prepare for it, or rather there is no difference is scores between people that prepare for it and people that do not. Not sure I actually believe that but it is supposed to be one of the big selling points for the system.
More than machinery we need humanity.
More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.
-
Schulich Medicine 2013, PGY1 - Ottawa for Radiology
Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorelan View Post
What is interesting about the MMI is that in theory (if you believe the literature) you can't prepare for it, or rather there is no difference is scores between people that prepare for it and people that do not. Not sure I actually believe that but it is supposed to be one of the big selling points for the system.
I don't believe the literature on that lol... maybe you can't prepare your communication style much (although I believe you can somewhat... the stats are probably confounded by the fact that poor communicators are somewhat more likely to prepare than confident communications), but there is no way preparing for ethical scenarios/current events/health care does nothing (significant)... again, those who are less confident/prepared probably prepared more, and there was no observable difference re preparation... i'm guessing they just compared 'prepared' vs. 'unprepared' performance (although this is obviously an oversimplification), and didn't consider the interviewees' baseline difference?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks a lot guys!

Yah im not sure how much prepping will help me, but i def feel more confident when i have my thoughts more organized.

Im def going to go through the above suggested methods. Yah, i figured there was no book on MMI prep, but hopefully reading up on the above stuff will help alongside the CASPer trial i signed up for.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Default white coat, black art

Hey!

Does anyone know when white coat, black art is coming back on the air??

I also find that Dr. Goldman (the host of WCBA) has a very informative blog (http://www.cbc.ca/whitecoat/) and twitter account (http://twitter.com/WCBADoctorBrian) for anyone interested.

Otto