Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Medical School Interviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 12:56 PM

Default Ethics: Would you work in an AIDS Clinic?

I was reading a list of questions that were asked in previous interviews available online and I fell on a tricky, yet simple question that I was hoping you can give me some input on.

It simply ask if you would ever work in an AIDS Clinic.

As simple and straightforward as it might seem, giving a simple yes is not a valid answer without being able to justify it, and, I care for the world and want to save it is not a valid justification.

If I say no, it surely going to wreck the show.

My answer would be that I'd have to think about it and consult with those close to me, eg family, friends and close peers because of the situation. And thats a genuine answer. However, it might seem selfish as an answer because it gives the impression and exposes a sort of double standard.

Youll risk your life in a hospital but not in an AIDS clinic?

How would you guys answer it, would you be straightforward about it?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Just a question - to anyone's knowledge in Canada has anyone ever actually contracted AIDS by working at one of these clinics? Seems rather unlikely to me to be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I was reading a list of questions that were asked in previous interviews available online and I fell on a tricky, yet simple question that I was hoping you can give me some input on.

It simply ask if you would ever work in an AIDS Clinic.

As simple and straightforward as it might seem, giving a simple yes is not a valid answer without being able to justify it, and, I care for the world and want to save it is not a valid justification.

If I say no, it surely going to wreck the show.

My answer would be that I'd have to think about it and consult with those close to me, eg family, friends and close peers because of the situation. And thats a genuine answer. However, it might seem selfish as an answer because it gives the impression and exposes a sort of double standard.

Youll risk your life in a hospital but not in an AIDS clinic?

How would you guys answer it, would you be straightforward about it?
More than machinery we need humanity.
More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.
-
Schulich Medicine 2013, PGY2 - Ottawa for Radiology
Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, I didnt think of answering that way. Personally, I find this to be a trick question because to simply say, I have no problem, they are patients too would be too easy. Surely, they expect an intelligent and genuine response, in this case, how many cases of health care workers contracting HIV/AIDS in the line of work, and safety precautions.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM

I think its smart to mention safety precautions, but won't talking about health stats just make your answer sound rehearsed?
I think it helps to answer this question to yourself first, as opposed to thinking what they want to hear....would you work in an AIDS clinic?
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Thanks for the replies, I didnt think of answering that way. Personally, I find this to be a trick question because to simply say, I have no problem, they are patients too would be too easy. Surely, they expect an intelligent and genuine response, in this case, how many cases of health care workers contracting HIV/AIDS in the line of work, and safety precautions.
In real practise I would be "scared" of far more things than AIDS. Compared to a lot of things it just doesn't have the same impact in a health care setting - it can be managed chronically, has long latancy, and poor transmission both in terms of getting it and in terms of passing it along to someone else. To be honest something like TB actually would worry me more.

Part of that take though might be just because I have worked with AIDS positive clients for a while now.
-
Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwoldey View Post
what do you think they're trying to find out about an applicant with this question? how well the person is informed? or just his/her thought process?
Thought process mostly I would say.
-
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Yes. You're interested in medicine which means hopefully you'll eventually go to medical school which means you'll eventually go to clerkship which means you'll eventually be on a surgical rotation. And beyond that, you'll be doing a residency where you'll still have to do some surgical rounds.

So... there will be a 6% (medical student) to 20% (resident) chance you will get a needlestick injury.
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/disea..._injuries.html

Even if you didn't use specific stats, it's pretty clear that working in an AIDS clinic is WAY safer than doing anything surgical, if that's what you're worried about... so why would you say no?

Unless you hate people with AIDS. In which case, uhh, maybe you should lie on your answer.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorelan View Post
In real practise I would be "scared" of far more things than AIDS. Compared to a lot of things it just doesn't have the same impact in a health care setting - it can be managed chronically, has long latancy, and poor transmission both in terms of getting it and in terms of passing it along to someone else. To be honest something like TB actually would worry me more.
Same here. HIV is relatively hard to catch and doesn't remain infectious for long outside of the body.

I'd probably discuss importance of universal precautions and basically say that I'd have no problem with it.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 AM

I wouldn't personally call this an ethics question, it would just be a question to see your thought process on pros vs cons of working in an AIDS clinic
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 AM

I think it'd be a good idea to mention that AIDS can't be contracted just by interacting with the patients, so you would be willing to work in the clinic.

However, as a drawback, you could mention the dilemma of societal pressure. Society (parents, relatives, neighbours and even friends) can be a bit of a problem here, so you would want to explain the point above (that AIDS can't be transmitted just by working with the patients) and convince them. Personally, THAT is the hard part, I think, and not YOU being worried about catching the disease.

Hope it helps.