Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Pharmacy Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2010, 03:09 AM

Default UBC Pharmacy?

Is anyone currently in UBC pharmacy?
I am hoping to gain admission after first year as my back up plan.

On the UBC website, they state that "the average grade for those admitted to our program has been approximately 75% - 80%, while the average PCAT composite percentile score has been between 85% and 90%" and that no volunteer or work experiences are needed but "it is helpful to have some awareness of the profession and the responsibilities of a pharmacist".

My questions:
1) When should I start preparing for PCAT? When should I register? (the last date to submit the score is April 1st of the application year) And, what book should I use (or even what method should I use)?

2) Even though "no volunteer or work experiences are needed", do I gain advantages over other applicants if I have some ECs (since I will need it anyway for med school)? If so, how can I approach/build my ECs?

3) How can I show my understanding of the profession and the responsibilities of a pharmacist?

3) Since pharmacy has a very heavy courseload, would I be better off not studying pharmacy to gain higher GPAs in other majors (if my ultimate goal is medical school)? Would being a pharmicist be seemed favourably by the adcom?

Any comment would be appreciated.

Last edited by s5260205 : 04-03-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:17 AM

1) When should I start preparing for PCAT? When should I register? (the last date to submit the score is April 1st of the application year) And, what book should I use (or even what method should I use)?
- start studying for PCAT over the summer if possible.. it will be quite difficult though because there is some organic chemistry along with calculus on it.. so unless you are an IB / AP(?) student, you might have a difficult time with it.. but honestly I don't think they look at the PCAT that much.. just get over 67% (minimum req).

-I believe registration opens up in September some time..but you should find out on the harcourt pcat website (enter that into google)

2) Even though "no volunteer or work experiences are needed", do I gain advantages over other applicants if I have some ECs (since I will need it anyway for med school)? If so, how can I approach/build my ECs?
- YES. Do you're EC's.. join clubs and when they ask you to be on exec committee, say yes, you usually have to go through an interview process, but these things will look good on your resume for med/pharm etc.

- I only have one friend that had NO EC's at all upon his application, but he had a % average of >90

3) How can I show my understanding of the profession and the responsibilities of a pharmacist?
- You can't really.. just google up roles/responsibilities of pharmacists and I think thats the best you can really do.. I'm in my 3rd year of the program right now and I still can't say definitively what my role will be in 1 year

4) Since pharmacy has a very heavy courseload, would I be better off not studying pharmacy to gain higher GPAs in other majors (if my ultimate goal is medical school)? Would being a pharmicist be seemed favourably by the adcom?
-Courses are jam packed, average sleep time for premeds in my class is <7 hours a day almost on a consistent basis after midterms start till after finals are over

- GPA wise, if you work hard, it isn't hard to do well because they do not toss crazy theoretical questions at you that you would get from a university level math or physics exam
Old 04-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMX View Post
- start studying for PCAT over the summer if possible.. it will be quite difficult though because there is some organic chemistry along with calculus on it.. so unless you are an IB / AP(?) student, you might have a difficult time with it.. but honestly I don't think they look at the PCAT that much.. just get over 67% (minimum req).

-I believe registration opens up in September some time..but you should find out on the harcourt pcat website (enter that into google)

- YES. Do you're EC's.. join clubs and when they ask you to be on exec committee, say yes, you usually have to go through an interview process, but these things will look good on your resume for med/pharm etc.

- I only have one friend that had NO EC's at all upon his application, but he had a % average of >90

- You can't really.. just google up roles/responsibilities of pharmacists and I think thats the best you can really do.. I'm in my 3rd year of the program right now and I still can't say definitively what my role will be in 1 year

4) Since pharmacy has a very heavy courseload, would I be better off not studying pharmacy to gain higher GPAs in other majors (if my ultimate goal is medical school)? Would being a pharmicist be seemed favourably by the adcom?
-Courses are jam packed, average sleep time for premeds in my class is <7 hours a day almost on a consistent basis after midterms start till after finals are over

- GPA wise, if you work hard, it isn't hard to do well because they do not toss crazy theoretical questions at you that you would get from a university level math or physics exam
Thank you for the answers.

Can you suggest any club that I should join? And what type of volunteer should I do?

Also, the admission requires two LORs. Can the persons writing the LOR be my high school teachers?

Last edited by s5260205 : 04-03-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:26 PM

any club, any volunteer. do something you enjoy. could also try to volunteer for some pharmacies if you wanted to.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5260205 View Post
Can the persons writing the LOR be my high school teachers?
I'd like to know this as well... if anyone knows...
Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 PM

UBC's site doesn't specify at all about who can or cannot write your LOR and I think that a previous high school teacher would be a good choice, because they would know you well.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live
Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 AM

I think because you are only in your first year, having a highschool teacher write you a LOR would be fine. One thing you could try to do before Febuary when you apply is to get a job or get a volunteer position and get to know your bosses/supervisors etc so that they can write you a reference letter as well.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 AM

Learn to read moron. (Sorry if that's harsh)

Quote:

"Do I need to have work or volunteer experience in a pharmacy to apply?

No. However, it is helpful to have some awareness of the profession and the responsibilities of a pharmacist."

They said work or volunteer experience IN A PHARMACY. Of course you have to be involved and well-rounded to get into pharmacy too. I personally feel you should be required to have pharmacy experience as well, then you would truly know if pharmacy is for you and remove idiots who just use pharmacy as a back-up. Also I admire schools that require a degree or at least 3 years (like med) before gaining entrance into Pharmacy.

People who have volunteer experience in anything, and those who have worked in pharmacy's have a better chance than people with just grades.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:40 AM

was it really necessary to bump up an over 2 month old thread to call him a moron?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:18 AM

Lol.
I decided not to go to UBC after all because pharmacy is really not something I am interested in.