Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > General Premed Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Default Straight to medical school after High School.

Hi all, I am an avid reader of this forum and have learned a lot through it, I have not yet posted on this forum but I have decided to change that, here I go.
I am a high school student who is resided in Newfoundland Labrador, I am interested in becoming a physician. This is besides the point, I have a friend who has applied to medical schools in the United Kingdom so that he can go straight to medical school. In fact he has spent thousands of dollars on applying, and has received one interview at this current moment. My question concerns the pros, and cons about going to medical school after high school. Most of you will say it's four years less, but he has to spend ten's of thousands of dollars for the international fee if he gets in, also this has to do with maturity, is he ready for the change of high school straight to medical school which I suspect most aren't. But mainly his father is a physician and as his friend I can see that his father expects him to be a physician, but what if he doesn't like medical school and decides to quit, he then has no back ground to fail back on.
Enough of me ranting on, I am aware it is his decision and I hope he succeeds but what do you think the pros and cons of this are?

Last edited by ScorpioMed : 02-02-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 PM

Interesting question. In Quebec, you go from h.s. to Cegep (college) for 2 years and top students then can get into med school doing just one yr UG. They are in the same class as students with bachelor degrees and PhD and they hold their own and do well.

In the Caribbean, you go from h.s., after doing 22 years of CAPE (the old A Levels) directly into medicine. I have a friend, age 17, in Grade 12 in Ontario and she has applied to med school in the Caribbean (she if from there). Another 18 yr old friend from the Caribbean in already in med school and doing well. So, there are many paths to fulfill our goals. In my case, I went to Cegep, did not have the marks to get into med school quickly and so, am now studying for my B.Sc. During the last few years, I have matured, developed a strong work ethic with academic success and see that I am better off with the traditional route.

For MMI Prep, See:
http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48582
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Yeah, I agree the traditional route seems more practical. Interesting though how your friends have attended medical school's outside of the country after high school and are doing well. I have not personally applied to any medical schools, i choose the traditional route as well. I have heard it is a huge jump from high school to university let alone Medical school!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 PM

I would primarily be concerned with coming back to Canada to practice. It can be very difficult for people depending on where they're doing med school.

International schools are also extremely expensive, and I know more than one person who has had to turn down an international spot because they didn't realize that banks wouldn't give them enough money to fund it.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkynn View Post
I would primarily be concerned with coming back to Canada to practice. It can be very difficult for people depending on where they're doing med school.

International schools are also extremely expensive, and I know more than one person who has had to turn down an international spot because they didn't realize that banks wouldn't give them enough money to fund it.

Yeah, these are the main issues I see, and IMO they outweigh any pros I can think of.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I don't know if that is a problem for him. His father is the only general surgeon where we live, he is on call 24/7 and gets paid for it. He has said his father has been putting money away for him and his brothers since they were small. I realize it's still expensive but I guess he thinks his father will pay it all. I brought up the idea of it being hard to get back into canada, but he is convinced his father did it ( he's from Nepal ) so he can do it as well. I've heard it is extremely hard to get into canada, but why is that? it is because of all the board exams required to complete?

Last edited by ScorpioMed : 02-02-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

It is my understanding that your friend may not be able to complete his residency in the UK. I'm not too sure on this though.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Great plan if he doesn't want to practice in Canada, doesn't mind spending a lot of money, and to be at least 6 years out of the country.

But if his goal was to practice in Canada, it's definitely easier to graduate here. I'm not even sure it takes more time.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Hey, I actually applied for meds at RCSI right out of high school, and was accepted much to my surprise!
I was pretty apprehensive about my prospects for returning to Canada. I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life by accepting an Ontarian uni instead. Over the last summer, I learned that there are many RCSI grads at UofT for residency. Just recently, I also found that I am a citizen of the United Kingdom through my parents; given the chance, I probably would have accepted RCSI. Last year an RCSI grad actually got into Plastics at UofT! If you know meds is what you really really want to do, I would take the opportunity. IMO, undergrad is quite useless in regards to opening opportunities for people like me.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 PM

If skvangs' info is true thats really cool and contradicts many of the cons presented to you. IMO, if youve got the money it would be a sick experience and youre gonna be wasting the prime years of your life here just trying to get a spot in Canada, not knowing if youre even competitive until the near end of UG by then you will be in your twenties and would be close to clerkship years there. Make sure youre eligible for residency to wherever you want to study