Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Dental Student General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM

Default How long did you study for the DAT?

Hey guys, how long would you recommend studying for the DAT to be totally prepared and do well? I havent started studying yet and am debating writing in Feb. Also, how do you manage both school and studying? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:39 PM

I really only had about a week to study for my DAT.

My science average was 19 and academic average was 21. I guess they’re decent and good enough to get me an interview to McGill as an OOP applicant; I'm still waiting for UofT and UWO. I did really badly on carving even though I thought my final product wasn't too shabby (apparently soap carving is not as important in Ontario schools and I guess for McGill as well).

As many will probably tell you, it really depends on how prepared you feel.
Try aiming for getting 90% correct on science, PAT and RC sections consistently (3 or more). That’s what I did.

And now for a quick rundown of the sections…

Since you're probably in science then it's very likely you've already taken Bio and Chem. If you did well and still feel you've got a pretty good grasp of the main concepts then that should equate to less time studying and more time doing questions, which is more important.

For RC, I found that having taken some physiology and pathology courses really helped me. Including the 3 passages I wrote on the DAT, I've somehow encountered the topics covered on all (roughly ~12) of the RC passages I've done. This familiarity really allowed me to speed read the passage and answer many questions based on my own knowledge (not recommend for tone-type questions) and without referring back to the passage (time burglar).

But generally for both the RC and PAT sections, all you really need to do is get your hands on as many practice tests/questions and do as many as you can. I know some of my friends got a hold of PAT-type questions from the library. I think these question types are pretty common for many aptitude tests.

Soap carving took the most time for me and I still didn't do that great! My carvings were getting better and better with each try so my advice is just to keep carving and you'll develop the skill in no time. Also, make sure you time yourself starting from your first soap! I even drew my own crazy shapes and dimensions to challenge myself.

I hope this lengthy response helps somewhat…

Last edited by xtapolapocetl : 01-16-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM

that helped so much thank you! I hastily signed up to write the Feb DAT yesterday. And feel majorily pressured now because I havent even begun studying. So this made me feel a little better.

But does anyone know if you dont show up for the test, or decide not to write it, if it counts as being "void" or it becomes cancelled with nothing sent to those schools you chose? I know its non refundable though. I'm not really sure how it works if you dont end up writing it though
Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 PM

I don't remember there being a box or anything you could check if you chose to not have it marked (unlike the PCAT) after the test started. I'm pretty sure if you registered for it, decided you weren't prepared to write it and were ok with losing the $285 or whatever, you could just not show up on test day.

To answer your first question, I put in a solid month of studying, usually a couple hours in the evening after classes, and 4-5 hours on the weekend. I ended up with all around good scores (AA 24). My advice to you would be make sure you have the mind set that you are only going to write it once. If you give yourself the excuse of "I can always write it again" etc, you might not be as motivated to study as you should or could be. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace8 View Post
that helped so much thank you! I hastily signed up to write the Feb DAT yesterday. And feel majorily pressured now because I havent even begun studying. So this made me feel a little better.

But does anyone know if you dont show up for the test, or decide not to write it, if it counts as being "void" or it becomes cancelled with nothing sent to those schools you chose? I know its non refundable though. I'm not really sure how it works if you dont end up writing it though

I signed up for Feb 2008 DAT and decided not to go due to lack of preparation. You loose your money, but if you don't feel prepared, I would suggest NOT taking the test. Most schools allow an applicant to write the DAT a max of 3 times. If for some reason you may need all 3 attempts, it would be a shame to blow one of these chances without a full effort. Judge your ability to achieve a good score on a few different practice tests.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 PM

What are the consequences of not writing, Williams? Does it just count as a void? Do you know if or what was forwarded to those schools you had selected?

HaveATake, thank you for your advice! Can I ask what study resources you used and how you studied?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace8 View Post
What are the consequences of not writing, Williams? Does it just count as a void? Do you know if or what was forwarded to those schools you had selected?
I had this question last year. What I was told by the CDA when I contacted them was that if you do not show up to write the test, you lose your money but it does not count as an "attempt" and no scores will be sent out to the schools you selected.

So if you didn't write the Feb. 2009 DAT but wrote the Nov. 2009 DAT, the schools would only receive the November 2009 DAT scores and it would indicate that you had taken the DAT one time.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilee View Post
I had this question last year. What I was told by the CDA when I contacted them was that if you do not show up to write the test, you lose your money but it does not count as an "attempt" and no scores will be sent out to the schools you selected.

So if you didn't write the Feb. 2009 DAT but wrote the Nov. 2009 DAT, the schools would only receive the November 2009 DAT scores and it would indicate that you had taken the DAT one time.
This is what I was also told by CDA
Old 01-20-2009, 06:39 PM

thanks guys!