Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > General Premed Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2005, 05:12 AM
triplefudgebrownie

Default UBC premed

Hey, I'm considering going to UBC for premed. I just wanted to ask, does it suffer from grade deflation like U of T and McGill? Anyone doing premed at UBC, I'd love to know what you think of it. :-) Thanks!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:02 AM
wab8611

how does UofT suffer from grade deflation?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:33 AM
richmond604

there's premed @ ubc?

how does McGill suffer from grade deflation? :eek
Old 05-26-2005, 05:51 PM
triplefudgebrownie

You look at the mean GPA of students in schools. A mean GPA of around 3.0 or less is considered grade deflated, and both U of T and McGill have a mean GPA of 2.2 .

And no, as far as I know no school in Canada offers premed, but what I meant by premed was one of the biological courses, the kind of courses students usually take if they wanna get into med school - Biochemistry etc.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Ollie

Quote:
You look at the mean GPA of students in schools. A mean GPA of around 3.0 or less is considered grade deflated, and both U of T and McGill have a mean GPA of 2.2 .
Huh? Where are you getting this info from?

I went to UBC and most of my big science courses had class averages of around 65%. I have never heard anything about grade deflation. If anything, they usually would scale marks up if the average was too low or the failure rate too high.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Jochi1543

C is considered to be "average" and most professors will design a class where about half the students will get a C by exerting "average" effort. So an average GPA of 2.2 is by no means strange.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:14 AM
triplefudgebrownie

Hey Ollie...
65% isn't that bad... actually... yeah, yeah it is... I'm comparing it with high school here, e.g. the average for our Biology class would be around 85%, but I guess marks drop a lot when you go to uni..

Did you find that there was a significant proportion of students getting GPAs in the range of 3.7-3.8 and above, or almost none at all?

Re: Jochi
OK, so if the professor aims for half the students to get Cs, does he set a set proportion of students who should get As?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:38 AM
Jochi1543

It really depends. Some profs will set up a very rigid structure in terms of how many of what grades will be given out. Some of my Econ classes would have 28 students and the expectations were 2 As, 5 Bs, and the rest Cs and a few Ds (Ds not alloted of course). But in my 100-person chemistry class, for example, there was no set quota. However, you would always find that about 50% of people got Cs, 20% Bs, 10% As, and the rest would be Ds and Fs. The majority of people usually ends up with a C. On the other hand, I know in my 12-person Japanese language class nobody has a C.

P.S. I'm not at UBC in case anyone has this impression. I was PMed today by another poster and congratulated on my admissions to UBC med. I'm not even applying until next year.:rollin Too funny.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:45 AM
Jochi1543

Also.....it's common knowledge that in highly competitive programs (pre-med, economics, etc) there's a certain degree of "weeding out" practices. I don't know how much of an opportunity profs get to do it in Canada since my understanding is that you guys have year-long classes and therefore take the same classes in the spring as you do in the fall. Here in the States they are broken up (like, General Chem is a 2 semester sequence, etc). It's a frequent occurence that General Chem I is extremely hard and most people do terribly in it, but those who survive and take General II, find General II to be significantly easier. It's certainly very pronounced at my college which is very "concerned" with the issues of grade deflation (I think our average graduating GPA is like 3.5 or something, between B+ and A-). It seems ridiculous to me though....do they seriously think a college graduate with a C-average on his or her diploma will be able to get any job?:x
Old 05-27-2005, 08:07 AM
medeng

Quote:
do they seriously think a college graduate with a C-average on his or her diploma will be able to get any job?:x
Actually in my experience most employers don't care too much about the grades... Sometimes they care about the courses you've taken (if they're looking for specific skills, which happens fairly often in engineering jobs) but they very rarely ask for a transcript... most of the time they will take your word for it (which actually scares me a bit, I'm honest, but I'm sure there are people out there who would stretch the truth to get a job!) But for grad school/meds, a C- isn't going to get you far, but thats part of the whole "weeding out" process... it starts in first year and ends (hopefully) in meds!