Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Textbook and Equipment Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM

Default Best Emergency Medicine Book?

I've been looking at textbooks on emergency medicine and am overwhelmed by the number of choices that exist. I'm hoping to find one which isn't too long, preferably under 1000 pages, since I'll be reading it in my spare time, but also contains decent explanations and pictures since I am only a first year medical student. Any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:06 AM

tintinalli hands down
Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Get yourself a subscription to EM:RAP (www.emrap.org). It's about 50 bucks for a student subscription and will be money well spent. Listen to a couple of episodes a week and you'll be amazed at how much you learn over the course of a couple of months. Then read the relevant section in Tintanelli if you've heard something especially interesting on emrap.

Tintanelli be accessed through the CMA website for free. Rosen's can as well (which is the book that frcpc residents study from -- start with Tintanelli since Rosen's is such a nasty beast). For entertainment, Roberts and Hedges Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine is also available through the CMA website.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

One text I have enjoyed using is Emergency Medicine: Just the facts from ACEP. It is basically a summarized version of Tintinalli's.

Last edited by rogerroger : 07-30-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

I just started listening to emergency medicine cases http://www.emergencymedicinecases.com/ and the first one was good to listen to. It was a podcast a little over an hour, clearly presented on a certain ER problems.

The nice thing is, as a student you get the ~170 membership fee waived and can join and listen for free.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploughboy View Post
Get yourself a subscription to EM:RAP (www.emrap.org). It's about 50 bucks for a student subscription and will be money well spent. Listen to a couple of episodes a week and you'll be amazed at how much you learn over the course of a couple of months. Then read the relevant section in Tintanelli if you've heard something especially interesting on emrap.

Tintanelli be accessed through the CMA website for free. Rosen's can as well (which is the book that frcpc residents study from -- start with Tintanelli since Rosen's is such a nasty beast). For entertainment, Roberts and Hedges Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine is also available through the CMA website.
I gotta say that this site is amazing. I have subscribed and can't put it down. Thanks ploughboy!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Another nice little EM book...

You may have seen the little massachusetts general pocket internal medicine book on the wards.

There is a lesser known but useful emergency med version of this book called Pocket Emergency Medicine. All the chapters are organized by chief complaint which is nice in the emergency setting. I found it a useful book to have around. I often see random copies laying around the emerg. Might be worth taking a peak to see what you think.

Last edited by rogerroger : 08-03-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploughboy View Post

Seconded (wait..roger...Thirded!). EMRAP is awesome.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Just ordered Tintinalli's paperback, looking forward to reading through this perhaps reading sections pertaining to the organ systems we are studying in class so that it grounds me and focuses my interests.

Beef

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it ... nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about ... how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!" - Rocky Balboa
Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 AM

Emergency Medicine Manual
Authors:
O. John Ma ,David Cline , Judith Tintinalli , Gabor Kelen, J. Stapczynski