Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Northern Ontario School of Medicine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Super Moderator

Question Orientation week question for NOSM students

I could only be so lucky to be offered admission and be able to go to orientation week. However my friends and I have been planning a trip to an uber-nerd vacation to the Fan Expo, which essentially is a Science Fiction convention for nerds who are proud of it and have money to burn.

Orientation week starts August 20th and Fan Expo is August 23rd (Thursday)- 27th (Sunday).

So my douche bag question (how dare I even ask this question before gaining admission ) ... Are orientation week activities optional or are they mandatory? I understand that the first day or two probably is killer important but what about late in the week ... would it be possible to excuse oneself if you had prior plans .... we've been talking about this for years and would be something definitely to do before embarking on med school poverty for the next 4 years.

Can any NOSM med students chime in? Reason why we are not really able to wait until May 15th is one of my friends needs to get his vacation time in to his employer end of next week and a Porter seat sale is on that is cheaper than all previous sales since Oct 2011 ... Porter more recently has jacked up their prices before putting on some of their so called sales, now this one actually gives some decent savings. Again apologies for such a douche bag question ... at least that is what I would think of someone who asked this question "They arent even admitted and they are already asking THIS!! MY GAWD what an idiot". Also Ive been living away from my home province of NS for 6 years and my two best friends have never visited me in Northern Ontarion because in the past I have come home twice a year so they never have bothered so I am kind of excited to have them check out my place and the such before heading to the Fan Expo.

Thanks for your understanding and any info you can provide. If I am rejected this is a non-issue of course ...

Last edited by Real Beef : 04-29-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 PM

To be honest, I don't know... but what I do know is that due to small class size it is easy to get in contact with the appropriate people should you get accepted and thats an issue...

as for importance of the orientation week... our school has one of the longest, most ridiculous (flying around) orientations of any school... but the main thing youd be missing out with is early friend/network making... In terms of school related content it is somewhat minimal... mainly advice, introduction to the auxiliary services (aboriginal affairs, francophone affairs, learner affairs etc)... I suppose the potentially important thing to not miss is technology day, when you get your laptop and ipad, your website user information etc... but even that doesn't seem to be crucial in my mind.

I guess the moral of the story is that it may be hard for them to make changes due to flights and hotels etc, but with big heads up, and small class size, I'm sure they'd consider it, provided you are willing to make the sacrifice.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 PM

From someone who has had the privilege of partaking and organizing orientation weeks,I firmly believe that albeit not necessarily being overly informative, they are crucial for building relationships and kick-starting a journey with fellow classmates.

During our 'freshman' trip, one guy who ended up being one of my best friends suffered due to just this. He was off traveling in Vietnam, Cambodia, etc(ie a very cool trip as opposed to a nerd convention) and it took him a long time to blend into the group and this was purely because he had missed the team building and bonding moments. I guess that in the end it was fine but I'm going to estimate that the one week of orientation cost him about 3 months to solidify his part in the group.

Anyways, I'm sure if it'll be fine if you go but trust that you will be compromising valuable time with the people you will need to rely on for the next few years.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the information. I sensed the importance of the rapport building and bonding which though qualitative is more vital then one would imagine. In the my second undergrad I was a transfer student into the program and it seemed that I was never really 'accepted' or at least it took until mid-third year for some of the cliques to open up to me so although I am set on going to the nerd convention I would probably end up just missing out Friday then and maybe part of Thursday while I have ended up telling my friends to head up early anyways ... if I am not around they can just sit on my porch and drink beer until I get back in the evenings. They seemed fine with that.

Marcel: Ive went on enough neat trips ... 2 week tour of Southern India, 2 week tour of Brazil, lived in Budapest Hungary for a month, visited former- Yugoslavia 3 times and have an upcoming trip to Serbia this summer, so I have had my fill of neat/travel intensive trips as of late and am looking more to the nerd convention, which I wanted to check out for years, over any exotic trip at the moment.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM

Orientation week is mandatory at NOSM and likely you will be travelling somewhere for part/most of it.