Canadian Premed and Medical Schools  

Go Back   Canadian Premed and Medical Schools > Diagnostics, Imaging, and Therapeutics Residencies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 12:19 PM

Default Any chance for changing from Fam Med to Rad Onc ?

Hi there,

I have been matched to Fam Med of Ottawa University this year. But I really have intention to apply for changing to Rad Onc. Do you think that this idea will be feasible ?

Thanks your comment !

Fan_med
Old 04-14-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan_med View Post
Hi there,

I have been matched to Fam Med of Ottawa University this year. But I really have intention to apply for changing to Rad Onc. Do you think that this idea will be feasible ?

Thanks your comment !

Fan_med

Sort of depends on your situation...if you applied to ~20 rad onc spots this year in round 1 and the programs didn't rank you, then i would say your chances of subsequently switching into the program are essentially nil. If you didn't, well then the issue will be why you didn't apply if you wanted rad onc over family.

Second issue is that I'm not sure if there are even left over spots in rad onc after the first iteration - i just tried to check, but since the second round is well under way now, the carms website has taken down how many spots are left over for each discipline. If there just aren't any left over spots, your chances are again, very poor.

u bet
Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Many thanks Ihatechem ! Very interesting your analysis !
Honestly, my biggest interest was Derm. I discoved Rad Onc during elective in derm. I dind't apply to Rad Onc due to its competitiveness since as I applied already to derm, very competitive too !
The thing is 8 spots that were unfulfilled at first round, so I think maybe I have some chances...
Thanks again !
Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM

Only way to know is to try. Talk to PGME at your school.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan_med View Post
Many thanks Ihatechem ! Very interesting your analysis !
Honestly, my biggest interest was Derm. I discoved Rad Onc during elective in derm. I dind't apply to Rad Onc due to its competitiveness since as I applied already to derm, very competitive too !
The thing is 8 spots that were unfulfilled at first round, so I think maybe I have some chances...
Thanks again !
yeah, it actually isn't that competitive anymore due to the job market. Good luck in attempting a switch!
More than machinery we need humanity.
More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.
-
Schulich Medicine 2013, PGY2 - Ottawa for Radiology
Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah job market is poor. I suggest suffering thru your two years of family, and then reapplying as a reentry. There are always spots available for reentry. You at least won't be out of a job.
Clinical Instructor
Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Yeah isn't it like one of the worst matched specialties in Round 1?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 PM

Really surprising to hear a poor job on rad onc because cancers are growing quickly ! I would think that will be temporal ? And the government seem to invest more on this field, at least in Quebec ????
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Radonc jobs situation in the US is much better, if you would consider going south, it's actually a very lucrative and interesting field. There are lots of shopping mall Linacs down there doing easy tumour sites and making great cash. It's also a very rewarding and interesting career with a great mix of technical work and patient contact. I think the anomaly of this years match will be corrected in future years. It is always among the most competitive matches in the NRMP. Lots of failed American Radonc candidates will be vying for those round 2 spots in Canada and they will likely fill.

You will still have a decent shot at switching if you get to know your local department and ask at other programs in the province. You might also consider finishing family first, there may be re-entry spots or 2nd round available but there is no guarantee. There is no harm in trying now.