PDA

View Full Version : Who has a GPA of 4.0?

mike18
12-31-2009, 01:15 PM
How hard do you work, and what university do you go to?

- Who has a GPA at York University equivalent to a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale?

mattg
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
i have one, at mcmaster - i posed in your other thread "Can hard work get you 90s?" with some advice... not sure if it's useful or not

i work hard when i need to, but i don't study all day and night... i study mainly a couple days before tests/exams... but everyone's different

calm down bud lol

mrnursing
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM

- Who has a GPA of 4.0 at York University?

4.0 out of 9.0 York GPA ? :confused:

My friend @ York told me that he had 4.0/9.0 GPA.

biomed1010
12-31-2009, 04:59 PM

- Who has a GPA at York University equivalent to a 4.0 on a 4.0 scale?

I'm guessing you about to start undergrad, and you want to maintain the best GPA possible(4.0), but I want to make sure you understand that you can still apply to a Medical school with a 4.0 even if you dont get perfect grades throughout all years of your undergrad. For example, look at Western. They take your best TWO years, so don't worry too much if you dont end up keeping a 4.0 :)

charmer08
12-31-2009, 07:20 PM
last year only 7 ppl got a 9.0 in the faculty of science and engineering at york... so its kinda hard to find a person with a 9.0 at york on this forum

rmorelan
12-31-2009, 07:39 PM
last year only 7 ppl got a 9.0 in the faculty of science and engineering at york... so its kinda hard to find a person with a 9.0 at york on this forum

Yeah it is rare to say the least - In Waterloo's arts program (that's ALL of them) only 21 people got over a 90 percent average (let alone a 4.0 GPA) last year.

I certainly don't to leave the impression that you need grades that high to get in!

C2U2
01-02-2010, 02:28 AM

hiya charmer, where do you get these numbers? I would like to see thx

Psychobabble
01-02-2010, 02:34 AM
OP - Please study where you are most comfortable. Like what future_doc said in one of your other 5 threads, go to a small university that is not as competitive for the best feedback.

I go to a fairly big university now compared to STFX which housed just over 4,000 students. Only one professor knows my name, as opposed to X where all of my profs knew my name and that can make a HUGE difference.

mrnursing - Though mike18 may have edited their post, it does say out of a 4.0 scale, not 9.0.

terryann
01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
A problem I had with U of T main campus was getting LOR from professors. Not many knew my name, basically all they could write in the LOR was "she was in the top ?? of my class"...Which is useless, because the adcom has the transcript.
I ended up only have one prof who knew me personally and that was because I volunteered in her lab as well...
This is something that you should consider now...when you are applying, especially if you apply to the US where you need LOR from science profs..if I apply to the US I will have difficulties with obtaining worthy LOR

Leon
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
A problem I had with U of T main campus was getting LOR from professors. Not many knew my name, basically all they could write in the LOR was "she was in the top ?? of my class"...Which is useless, because the adcom has the transcript.
I ended up only have one prof who knew me personally and that was because I volunteered in her lab as well...
This is something that you should consider now...when you are applying, especially if you apply to the US where you need LOR from science profs..if I apply to the US I will have difficulties with obtaining worthy LOR

I always visit the proffs during office hours. It really helps. I normally have questions anyway but I sometimes go even when I don't because other people turn up with questions and that in itself is helpful. And while waiting for the others to turn up, small chat with the proff is meaningful.

leap87
01-02-2010, 10:22 AM
I always visit the proffs during office hours. It really helps. I normally have questions anyway but I sometimes go even when I don't because other people turn up with questions and that in itself is helpful. And while waiting for the others to turn up, small chat with the proff is meaningful.

Sitting in the first 3 rows will also do the job. They will know you by face (not by name). However, even that is a step in the right direction. If you answer their questions during class (if they ask), you also get a plus. If you keep on answering their questions and putting your hand up, they're bound to find out your name. And then if on top of that, you visit them during their office hours, not only will they be able to give you a reference but also give an in depth one (ie. she/he was very active in class etc.) York is a big school, but most of my professors know who I am. :)

charmer08
01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Sitting in the first 3 rows will also do the job. They will know you by face (not by name). However, even that is a step in the right direction. If you answer their questions during class (if they ask), you also get a plus. If you keep on answering their questions and putting your hand up, they're bound to find out your name. And then if on top of that, you visit them during their office hours, not only will they be able to give you a reference but also give an in depth one (ie. she/he was very active in class etc.) York is a big school, but most of my professors know who I am. :)

lol i do none of that cuz i know it won't help... theres like 560 ppl in every class :rolleyes:

but yea i guess it might help a bit if the prof isn't a jerk (i only did that for this one class during the summer whose prof was a jerk and i always use to question myself why i actually went to him during his office hours)

charmer08
01-02-2010, 10:59 AM
hiya charmer, where do you get these numbers? I would like to see thx

uhm they hand out the presidents honour roll to all of them at the awards ceremony...

leap87
01-02-2010, 11:13 AM
lol i do none of that cuz i know it won't help... theres like 560 ppl in every class :rolleyes:

but yea i guess it might help a bit if the prof isn't a jerk (i only did that for this one class during the summer whose prof was a jerk and i always use to question myself why i actually went to him during his office hours)

So? When I entered Kinesiology, Glendhill used to teach it. There were ~600 students per class (2 classes in total). I sat in the first row the WHOLE freaking year for both of my courses (kine 1020 and kine 1000) and ALL of the profs knew me. Glendhill knows me so much that he even stops on campus to talk with me. Humana was my reference for multiple programs. So it's not that hard to even in those huge classes "befriend" a professor.

What program are you in charmer? You're a Yorkie right? If you want more info about how to get higher grades at York and how to "befriend" profs you're more than welcome to PM me. :)

P.S. Glendhill was the scariest professor by far for everyone. We were all scared little 1st years and we all dreaded his exams. He was a tough cookie. He still is. He can also be a tiny bit arrogant at times because he's done SO much in Kine field - it is ridiculous. He's like the God of Kinesiology.

Edit: I also wanted to mention not to bother with summer course profs unless they're a full time or part time faculty at York. Sometimes they bring these profs to teach and they're not great. I believe your best shot would be for F/W/Y courses. Who was your prof for summer and what course did you take?

WestEastMountGuy
01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
P.S. Glendhill was the scariest professor by far for everyone. We were all scared little 1st years and we all dreaded his exams. He was a tough cookie. He still is. He can also be a tiny bit arrogant at times because he's done SO much in Kine field - it is ridiculous. He's like the God of Kinesiology.

Sounds kinda, but not exactly, like Dr. Phillips in the kin department at McMaster (teaches Nutrition to us poor first years)

But on topic, at any university it is hard to get a 4.0 average. Especially since in Ontario an A is only a 3.9. My AMCAS GPA would be 4.0 (and I intend to keep it that way), but OMSAS would be ~3.96 (unless my Nutrition exam went far more poorly than I thought and I dropped from an A+ to an A-). I mention this to illustrate that even a very good performance (3 A+'s and 2 A's) will not get you a OMSAS 4.0. Indeed, all you need is one non-A+ in your entire University career will keep you from a pure 4.0. And an A can come in an unexpected class. For example, one of my A's was in intermediate italian I. Despite doing very well at Italian in high school, it took me a while to adjust to the way it was evaluated in University and I was competing mostly against people who had already adjusted to this (had started Italian at university not high school) and who had 1-3 years to learn how to do well in University in general.

The point I'm getting is you have to be both very intelligent and very lucky to both consistently succeed and to not run into any situations that might prevent you from doing as well as you are capable of.

leap87
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Sounds kinda, but not exactly, like Dr. Phillips in the kin department at McMaster (teaches Nutrition to us poor first years)

But on topic, at any university it is hard to get a 4.0 average. Especially since in Ontario an A is only a 3.9. My AMCAS GPA would be 4.0 (and I intend to keep it that way), but OMSAS would be ~3.96 (unless my Nutrition exam went far more poorly than I thought and I dropped from an A+ to an A-). I mention this to illustrate that even a very good performance (3 A+'s and 2 A's) will not get you a OMSAS 4.0. Indeed, all you need is one non-A+ in your entire University career will keep you from a pure 4.0. And an A can come in an unexpected class. For example, one of my A's was in intermediate italian I. Despite doing very well at Italian in high school, it took me a while to adjust to the way it was evaluated in University and I was competing mostly against people who had already adjusted to this (had started Italian at university not high school) and who had 1-3 years to learn how to do well in University in general.

The point I'm getting is you have to be both very intelligent and very lucky to both consistently succeed and to not run into any situations that might prevent you from doing as well as you are capable of.

I wouldn't know who that is. :) Have you taken Motor Control yet? :)

Also, we know that usually people slip a bit. It's VERY hard to be perfect ALL the time. Those who achieve a 4.0 GPA - hats off to them.

WestEastMountGuy
01-02-2010, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't know who that is. :) Have you taken Motor Control yet? :)

Also, we know that usually people slip a bit. It's VERY hard to be perfect ALL the time. Those who achieve a 4.0 GPA - hats off to them.

http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/kinesiology/people/faculty/292-Stuart%20Phillips.html

I think another poster mentioned him in another thread as the prof that "specializes in protein" or something like that.

Sorry if you thought the point about the 4.0 was directed at you. It was mostly intended towards the OP. The point I was making to him was that I don't think one can really judge a university based on which has the most 4.0 students, and one really shouldn't judge oneself if you don't have a 4.0.

And I start motor control (Mac calls it Psychomotor Behaviour) tomorrow. Any advice?

DOC_Ma
01-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Yeah it is rare to say the least - In Waterloo's arts program (that's ALL of them) only 21 people got over a 90 percent average (let alone a 4.0 GPA) last year.

I certainly don't to leave the impression that you need grades that high to get in!

Hey man how do you get that stats? can you give me a link to any faculty's average at waterloo please?

leap87
01-03-2010, 10:42 AM
http://www.science.mcmaster.ca/kinesiology/people/faculty/292-Stuart%20Phillips.html

I think another poster mentioned him in another thread as the prof that "specializes in protein" or something like that.

Sorry if you thought the point about the 4.0 was directed at you. It was mostly intended towards the OP. The point I was making to him was that I don't think one can really judge a university based on which has the most 4.0 students, and one really shouldn't judge oneself if you don't have a 4.0.

And I start motor control (Mac calls it Psychomotor Behaviour) tomorrow. Any advice?

Ah, then you won't have the prof I thought you would have since she has a free semester. I'll take a look at the link. Nah, I didn't think it was directed at me - I just made a general statement. :)

I took what is at York called Motor Control a year ago and it was a very interesting course. Keep on top of the brain lectures as the pathways could get a bit more complex. Do you know who is teaching it? If the prof is good, I believe you will enjoy it very much (if you're into that kind of stuff). :)

Edit: Btw, have you had Dr. Hawke as one of your professors? He is new to Mac and does research in Stem Cells. He used to work at York but then he transferred to Mac during the strike. Amazing prof. If you ever get a chance to take a course with him, do it. Thomas Hawke (http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/pathology/contact_us/faculty/faculty_bios/Hawke_000.html)

Double Edit: Have you heard of this guy? David Hood (http://www.yorku.ca/dhood/project.html)

rmorelan
01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey man how do you get that stats? can you give me a link to any faculty's average at waterloo please?

I had to call the office of it because they don't post it (and had to hound some people :)) You know on the OMSAS form where it asks for information on how competitive the award is? - well I had no idea for the arts facility award I got each year. Turns out they just have so many and start at the person with the highest overall arts average and work their way down. I guess because it was for all the entire arts college combined no one specific program adviser actually knew.

You looking for the average of a particular program?

muse87
01-03-2010, 12:43 PM
tencharacters

DOC_Ma
01-04-2010, 12:13 AM
I had to call the office of it because they don't post it (and had to hound some people :)) You know on the OMSAS form where it asks for information on how competitive the award is? - well I had no idea for the arts facility award I got each year. Turns out they just have so many and start at the person with the highest overall arts average and work their way down. I guess because it was for all the entire arts college combined no one specific program adviser actually knew.

You looking for the average of a particular program?

ya looking for the average of science faculty. Is it the overall average or just 1 year or 1 term average?

Marty
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
ya looking for the average of science faculty. Is it the overall average or just 1 year or 1 term average?

I'm looking for Science faculty award info at Waterloo as well. I was awarded a Faculty of Science upper-year scholarship but I'm not sure how many of those they hand out. I guess I could just get off my butt and ask them directly.

To keep this reply on topic - I HAD a 4.0 average until this term... I got 84 (sigh) in what many consider a very easy course. Oh well .. I guess that kind of offsets the upside surprise I got with orgo.

-Marty

future_doc
01-04-2010, 02:32 PM
:p :p Marty :p :p

Marty
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
:p Marty :p

Maybe If I extend the degree out a couple years I can get that GPA to round up to 4.0! :D

If only I had been paying attention during my first degree...

JoshG
01-04-2010, 03:28 PM

Hey I was just wondering where I can find these statistics. I am doing two degrees, one in honours psychology at UW and will likely be one of those people this year. It would be interesting to see how much company I have!

Thanks! :)

rmorelan
01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey I was just wondering where I can find these statistics. I am doing two degrees, one in honours psychology at UW and will likely be one of those people this year. It would be interesting to see how much company I have!

Thanks! :)

I had to call my advisor who referred me to someone in the awards office for arts. She was able after a day or so track down the total number of people in the arts program, and how many got the reward. It's not actually posted on the site as far as I know - give them a call, they are pretty understanding :)

ryansn
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Bye bye perfect GPA. B+ in physics just killed me:mad: I'm staring at my final grades and its like going to a wedding in a custom tailored suit with a pimple on your face.

kawalac
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
ughh I feel for you Ryan. Even when I get an A- back I still get that same feeling. It sucks losing that extra 0.1 (i.e going from a 3.9 for an A to a 3.7 for an A-). It's especially a shot to the groin when you score an 85.4 and need an 86 for that A but the prof decides to stand strong on giving you that A- :(

sfinch
01-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Muse, what happened to the two that failed the block? UWO seems to be pretty strict...they give you once chance. Does UoA boot them out?

Leon
01-16-2010, 06:18 PM
ughh I feel for you Ryan. Even when I get an A- back I still get that same feeling. It sucks losing that extra 0.1 (i.e going from a 3.9 for an A to a 3.7 for an A-). It's especially a shot to the groin when you score an 85.4 and need an 86 for that A but the prof decides to stand strong on giving you that A- :(

Isn't both 85 and an 86 a 3.9 on OMSAS?

DOC_Ma
01-16-2010, 07:44 PM

in one course I got 89.4% just needed that 0.1% prof wouldn't give me and I mean the margin for errors was high for that course (fully written exams). Pretty frustrating at times!

Silent Soliloquy
01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't understand when people complain that a 3.9 is hard to get. At most universities that's just an 85. Yes you need to work hard, but it's not unreasonably difficult to expect at least 85 in each of 2-3 years of courses. Personally I wouldn't want a doctor who couldn't scrape mid 80s.

rmorelan
01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't understand when people complain that a 3.9 is hard to get. At most universities that's just an 85. Yes you need to work hard, but it's not unreasonably difficult to expect at least 85 in each of 2-3 years of courses. Personally I wouldn't want a doctor who couldn't scrape mid 80s.

The problem generally isn't getting a 85 - its getting an 85 or higher in everything all the time. I would have zero problem having a smart doctor that could "only" get a B in physics. Not that you have to be perfect at all times to get in but the med admissions people generally have issues with even single course problems.

Leon
01-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Personally I wouldn't want a doctor who couldn't scrape mid 80s.

A typical pre med is going to take a variety of courses in different departments. If someone is unable to secure 85% in a Philosophy or Politics course, would you say the same? Worse, you're ignoring the tampering that some universities do with people's grades.

Having grades in the 90+ range doesn't mean you'll make a good doctor and the converse is also true. I wouldn't judge so stringently on academics.

kawalac
01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Isn't both 85 and an 86 a 3.9 on OMSAS?

No, at my University an 80-85.9 is an A- (3.7) and an 86-92.9 is an A (3.9).

Silent Soliloquy
01-17-2010, 03:00 PM
The problem generally isn't getting a 85 - its getting an 85 or higher in everything all the time. I would have zero problem having a smart doctor that could "only" get a B in physics. Not that you have to be perfect at all times to get in but the med admissions people generally have issues with even single course problems.

Yes but you forget that the B in physics should be balanced out by at least a couple of 90s+. I do understand that essay based courses would be harder to get 85+ in. So don't take them. But it should be expected that one can get at least an 80 in them, seeing as the usual distribution is 20% of the class gets an A, 50% a B. a 3.7 in one or two out of 30 won't kill your GPA, and lest we forget that many first year courses are review from grade 12 and a 4.0 should be expected. Also the weighting formulas of many universities, etc.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Silent Soliloquy
01-17-2010, 03:01 PM
No, at my University an 80-85.9 is an A- (3.7) and an 86-92.9 is an A (3.9).

What school is that? OMSAS has no universities on the chart in which a 86+ is a 3.9. Of course this doesn't apply if you're talking about pairies.

ontariostudent
01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Yes but you forget that the B in physics should be balanced out by at least a couple of 90s+. I do understand that essay based courses would be harder to get 85+ in. So don't take them. But it should be expected that one can get at least an 80 in them, seeing as the usual distribution is 20% of the class gets an A, 50% a B. a 3.7 in one or two out of 30 won't kill your GPA, and lest we forget that many first year courses are review from grade 12 and a 4.0 should be expected. Also the weighting formulas of many universities, etc.

If what you're saying is true, and the "usual distribution" is that 70% of the class has a B or above, how do courses end up with class averages in the 60s???

Also, how can you say that someone shouldn't take an essay-based course if they can't get an 85+? It's precisely those people who will benefit from taking such a course.

Silent Soliloquy
01-17-2010, 03:05 PM
If what you're saying is true, and the "usual distribution" is that 70% of the class has a B or above, how do courses end up with class averages in the 60s???

No clue, I would imagine failures drag the average down quite a bit. But from what I've seen so far in first year courses the distribution is generally that. Of course UWO doesn't curve.

I said they shouldn't take MANY essay based courses if they can't. You have to realize undergrad now isn't about learning anymore. It's about getting a high GPA to get into a professional program to learn. This is the truth regrettably.

onamountain
01-17-2010, 03:08 PM
You have to realize undergrad now isn't about learning anymore. It's about getting a high GPA to get into a professional program to learn. This is the truth regrettably.

This is sad.

ontariostudent
01-17-2010, 03:09 PM
No clue, I would imagine failures drag the average down quite a bit. But from what I've seen so far in first year courses the distribution is generally that. Of course UWO doesn't curve.

In my first year undergrad courses (and some second year courses), the proportion of people getting B and above was NOT 70%. It was much lower.

In fact, on the first day or organic chemistry the professor said "A third of you will drop the course, a third will fail, and a third will pass." I think he ended up being on the mark. Even if you exclude those students who dropped it, if a third of the remaining students failed, there's no way that 70% got a B or above.

And, as a side point, balancing out a low mark with a few high marks can be extremely difficult. GPA can be very unforgiving.

Silent Soliloquy
01-17-2010, 03:44 PM
This is sad.

I agree... but it's true.

rmorelan
01-17-2010, 04:16 PM

well a pure B is a 3.0. You would need 9 A+ to drag that back up to the 3.9 you mentioned. That is more than a few :)

Again not to imply a B is some sort of a serious problem - you mentioned a bunch of ways it is forgiven etc for one.

meg137
01-18-2010, 09:03 PM
And, as a side point, balancing out a low mark with a few high marks can be extremely difficult. GPA can be very unforgiving.

Agreed! Just because someone does not have a 3.9+ GPA does not mean they are not smart or not capable of being a great doctor.

For example I have had a to take a couple of very challenging advanced math/engineering/physics courses for my degree. In two of them, not a single student received a mark over 75% and this is the nature of the course, not because the students were not smart, to be in the program at all you have to be a very intelligent student. A few marks under 75% can tank your GPA no mater how many other A's you get.

Some Med Schools understand this.

Personally, I learned WAY more in these classes that challenged me than I would have sitting in some mind numbing class I took in an easy program to boost my GPA. And I am not just talking about learning the material, this kind of course has taught me to think critically, problem solve, time manage and many other important skills. In the long run, this will make me a better doctor.

GPA isn't always everything...

Silent Soliloquy
01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Agreed! Just because someone does not have a 3.9+ GPA does not mean they are not smart or not capable of being a great doctor.

For example I have had a to take a couple of very challenging advanced math/engineering/physics courses for my degree. In two of them, not a single student received a mark over 75% and this is the nature of the course, not because the students were not smart, to be in the program at all you have to be a very intelligent student. A few marks under 75% can tank your GPA no mater how many other A's you get.

Some Med Schools understand this.

Personally, I learned WAY more in these classes that challenged me than I would have sitting in some mind numbing class I took in an easy program to boost my GPA. And I am not just talking about learning the material, this kind of course has taught me to think critically, problem solve, time manage and many other important skills. In the long run, this will make me a better doctor.

For admissions it is.

rmorelan
01-18-2010, 11:07 PM

Those are the best courses - the trouble is as you know that the admissions people don't process your application that way. They rely fundamentally on every single course, from ever single program to be rated equally. Some schools let you drop courses, or reweigh the GPA somehow but still unfortunately the core assumption seems to permeate most of the process.