PDA

View Full Version : AAMC CBT vs The Real Thing

deathvvv
06-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey Guys

I was wondering how consistent is the difficulty/style/scoring of the CBTs the real MCAT compared to the real thing. I just did MCAT 3 and I got a 30 (9P 10v 11B). I find that on the exam I could have found the answer from inferencing the passages and strict memorization of equations was minimized. Is that the same for the real thing?

Thanks for the responses.

keith_015
06-16-2008, 12:14 AM
The AAMC CBT's are actually old MCATs so the answer is yes: there is a lot of inferencing and the difficulty is the same as what you should expect. You should still have a good idea of simple equations for the non-passaged questions. But otherwise a lot of equations are given, and even answers can be figured out by looking at the units (ie m/s) and cancelling to find the one best answer. Before I wrote a few years ago, I bought all the available CBT's. I did one a day for four days in a row running on the same structure for breaks, actually doing the writing samples like they would be done, and the starting time etc. After doing the practice ones, I was scoring consitently on everything. My actual score did reflect how I did on the practice but was actually slightly higher but 1 or 2 marks.

redribbon
06-16-2008, 12:19 AM
kaplan ps >>>> mcat real ps >>>>>>>>>>> aamc mcat practice ps
mcat real bs >>>>>>>>>> kaplan bs >>>>>> aamc mcat practice bs
aamc mcat practice verb = mcat real verb >>>>>>>>>>> kaplan verbal

(from highest difficulty to lowest difficulty)

Jamer
06-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Are you ****ing joking me?

From my 1 REAL MCAT experience (probably what the previous poster has) + Kaplan full length tests and passage tests + AAMC exams

From highest to lowest difficulty

Real MCAT VR >>> Kaplan >> AAMC

Kaplan PS >>>>>> AAMC PS >> Real MCAT PS

Kaplan BS > Real MCAT BS >> AAMC BS

My real PS MCAT was a joke, except for 1 passage. The BS was pretty standard and verbal was horribly, horribly long. Kaplan is more difficult in every section compared to AAMC without fail. Their PS are too hard and thus inaccurate, minus June 13's MCAT which people are talking so much about.

redribbon
06-16-2008, 12:52 AM
kaplan's ps is hard, their bs isn't too bad. and their verbals are too short and not representative of aamc at all. i also think aamc practice's ps and bs sections were easier than the real thing. the verbal was representative however.

Sutler
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
kinda like the IQ scale...every few years they have to make the tests harder to make sure average is 100

same with MCAT I guess....:eek:

Alastriss
06-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Its harder, but I am sure the scale is more forgiving. IE if you think u missed 9 on VR don't bother comparing that to the CBT 10 conversion scale to estimate your marks. It just doesn't work.

Bottom like: you will find it harder, but you will likely end up with the same score as you did on the practice, give or take 1.

Alastriss
06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
The aamc VR and the kaplan VR is very different. You will find them easier or harder depending on your strengths. AAMC VR is geared more towards understanding the argument, while Kaplan VR is geared more towards remembering/retaining in short term memory key facts.

Charlatan
06-18-2008, 02:03 AM
If you take the average of the scores for each section (PS, VR, BS) on all the AAMC exams that you've done, you have your best predicted real performance on the actual MCAT. Kaplan/TPR/EK exams may be good additional practice but all have much weaker predictive power.

For each section, expect little to no fluctuation from your average AAMC practice scores (ie. +/- 0 > +/- 1 > +/- 2) on the real thing.

Best of luck,

Charlatan

maria
06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
sorry to make the thread go kind of off topic but how helpful is the whole bell-curving thing? I mean, its hard to say since you may not know your raw score but does it even affect the overall score much (based on practice exam scores before the real thing)? Excuse my ignorance since I am writing for the first time in exactly a month from today...yikes!

Sutler
06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
can someone rate EK VR in comparison to kaplan, MCAT and AAMC?

Thanks

rogerroger
06-19-2008, 07:15 PM
kaplan ps >>>> mcat real ps >>>>>>>>>>> aamc mcat practice ps
mcat real bs >>>>>>>>>> kaplan bs >>>>>> aamc mcat practice bs
aamc mcat practice verb = mcat real verb >>>>>>>>>>> kaplan verbal

(from highest difficulty to lowest difficulty)

This is fairly close to what I found.

Let me add to it...

kaplan ps >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EK PS >>> mcat real ps >>>>>>>>>>> aamc mcat practice ps

mcat real bs >>> EK BS >>>>>> kaplan bs >>>>>> aamc mcat practice bs

EK VR = aamc mcat practice verb = mcat real verb >>>>>>>>>>> kaplan verbal

Sutler
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
wow i gotta get myself some EK verbal :D

young_n_ambitious
07-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Where does Princeton verbal fit in ? IMO, it is the easiest!

supafield
07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Where does Princeton verbal fit in ? IMO, it is the easiest!

Princeton workbook verbal.... normal to easy...
Princeton cbt verbal sections.... awful

Violet
07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Princeton workbook verbal.... normal to easy...
Princeton cbt verbal sections.... awful

Awful as in too hard or too easy?

supafield
07-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Awful as in too hard or too easy?

most of the ones I've taken are too hard...

I get the feeling that princeton tries to reinforce their skip the killer passage strategy by making one or two passage so ridiculous that you agree with them... I've seen some very hard aamc passages, but nothing that compares with the odd princeton "killer" passage

redribbon
07-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I find the killer AAMC passages are hard in the sense that the questions themselves are hard (ie. gives you a scenario and then you have to answer the question based on your understanding of the passage), not so much that the passage itself is filled with weird language.

redribbon
07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
If this is your second time re-writing, when you do the practice AAMC tests, do you feel as if it's truly representing what you know? When I do the verbal and physics, I score much higher than I did last year, but I feel as if I just chose the answers based on my familiarity with the passages because I did them a year ago...I dunno.

Swift Fox
07-02-2008, 05:01 PM
most of the ones I've taken are too hard...

I get the feeling that princeton tries to reinforce their skip the killer passage strategy by making one or two passage so ridiculous that you agree with them... I've seen some very hard aamc passages, but nothing that compares with the odd princeton "killer" passage

LOL skip the whole passage? Wow, they are still pushing that??? I said it before when I was teaching for Kaplan and I will say it again, you are making it much much harder to grab a 10 if you go around skipping passages... Kaplan's VR strategy also sucks in my opinion, but that is a whole other story... Listen to EK audio osmosis if you want a real VR strategy.

supafield
07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
If this is your second time re-writing, when you do the practice AAMC tests, do you feel as if it's truly representing what you know? When I do the verbal and physics, I score much higher than I did last year, but I feel as if I just chose the answers based on my familiarity with the passages because I did them a year ago...I dunno.

I am doing the aamc's i didn't do the time before and 7 and 8... when I did 7 I had absolutely no recognition of the passages...

Alastriss
07-02-2008, 11:31 PM
From my mcat experience. I completely disagree with TPR and Kaplan on a whole bunch of things. EK ALL THE WAY. The only advantage to TPR and Kaplan is the fact that you have a structured approach with classes that you have to attend, readily available tutors and instructors, and scheduled exams.

The strategy to succeed on the MCAT isn't to skip killer passages. Having that mentality is a mentality where you lack confidence, and I personally found that being confident is half the battle on that day. Also, you lose the most important notion - your objective is to get MORE answers correct than an x percentile of test takers. This means trying your very best for killer passages and realizing that its ok to miss a few on those. Everyone else will - the question is who will miss less.

Chantalle
07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
This is my fist time taking the MCAT, so I have been trying to do as much CBT exams as I can. People are saying that the AAMC tests that you can buy online aren't aren't as hard as what you will actually get on test day... so I was just wanting some general feed back.
I did tests 4, 5, & 6 so far... I got a 37 on 4, 35 on 5, and 37 on 6.. are these ones wayyy easier than the day? I was super happy with the scores, but if the aamc practice tests are too easy... I don't know what to expect? Any advice?