View Full Version : Salary and overheads..
03-04-2004, 12:10 AM
I would really appreciate it if someone could help clarify the following:
1) When does a physician pay overhead expenses? ie. Does a doc pay overhead expenses when on salary at a hospital? When he's salary + fee-for-service? (I know that a straight fee-for-service doc must pay overhead out of pocket)
2) What are typical overheads, if applicable to situations in question 1 mentioned above?
3) Are physician compensation disclosures available for cancer agencies outside of Ontario? I've tried looking and have come up with nothing.
Thanks in advance.
03-04-2004, 04:21 AM
1) Whenever he/she has costs relating to his/her practice. If you own an office, you have overhead. When you pay for your malpractice insurance, that's overhead too. When you budget for vacations and medical/dental benefits, that's overhead. When you have staff acting as receptionists, nurses or medical office assistants, or billing clerks, that's all overhead. Some hospitals provide these features as part of the employment contract to attract physicians, others will not.
2) Typical overhead is going to be dictated by the type of practice, specialty, and all sorts of other factors.
3) Doubt it. Go ask one of those physicians directly.
02-16-2005, 11:11 AM
i went to a talk on money given by a neurologist who worked in the community then switched to an academic place
you are awesome 30%
you suck 50%
02-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Ian summarizes it nicely. It's impossible to answer the question of overhead in any sort of general way because there are so many different variables at play in each individual situation. If you're on salary at a hospital, for example, it depends on how that salary calculation is determined, the sources of the funding, the percentage of in-hospital vs. private office work that makes up your practice, academic obligations, what the hospital provides as part of the deal, and way the contract happens to be drawn up.
08-17-2005, 02:16 AM
Floating to the top...
vBulletin® v3.6.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.